A Festive Delight: Christmas Herb Compound Butter
Published on November 6, 2023
Bring a festive twist to your holiday meals with Christmas Herb Compound Butter.
Compound butter, originating from French cuisine, is a combination of butter and a variety of flavour enhancers such as herbs, spices, honey, or garlic. It has been a staple in culinary art for centuries and is used to add depth of flavour to a range of dishes.
Our Christmas Herb Compound Butter is the perfect way to make your holiday dishes more special. Its subtle and delicate flavours won’t overpower the main course but will bring a kick of festive aromas that will make everyone want more.
Here are some ways to use it:
- Flavour the turkey (or other meat) before cooking: Slice a piece and slip it under the skin of your turkey before roasting OR rub the softened compound butter over the entire surface of your turkey before cooking.
- Use it as a sauce: Serve slices of Christmas Herb Compound Butter on top of cooked meat, allowing the butter to melt all over it for an elegant and decadent finish OR melt the compound butter and drizzle over the meat and vegetables.
- Use it as a spread with those turkey leftovers the next day. Spread some of the compound butter on a crusty bread or baguette before adding your favourite festive fillings for an ultimate Christmas sambo!
To make your own Christmas Herb Compound Butter, you will need the following ingredients:
227g Irish butter, room temperature
1 sprig thyme, 5 sage leaves and 2-3 stalks of parsley from our Christmas Herb Mix.
100g dried cranberries, finely chopped
Zest from 1 mandarin
And just follow these simple steps:
- Place the butter in a shallow bowl or on a plate, then mash with a fork to soften.
- Rinse the herbs and pat them dry with a paper towel. Pick off the thyme leaves from the stem and finely chop with the sage and parsley (with stems), then add herbs to the butter along with the chopped dried cranberries and mandarin zest.
- Work the additions into the butter with the fork until distributed evenly.
- Spoon butter onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Fold the parchment paper over the butter and roll up, then twist the ends tight so that the butter compresses into a neat log shape.
- Chill in the fridge until firm. Can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Ideally, prepare butter 1-2 days before eating or using it for the best flavour.
Christmas Herb Compound Butter makes a thoughtful and unique homemade gift for your family and friends. It looks festive and delightful when sliced, and it is sure to bring smiles.
So, this Christmas, make your holiday meals more special and treat your loved ones to the delicious flavours of Christmas Herb Compound Butter. Enjoy!