Savoury Spinach, Basil and Sun-Dried Tomato Muffins
Preparation time: 15
Cooking time: 30
275g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
100g white cheddar, grated
75g sun dried tomato, in oil, drained and chopped
2tbsp oil, from sundried tomatoes
1/2 tbsp salt
10g fresh basil
- Pre - heat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas 4 . Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper muffin liners and brush the top of the muffin pan with a bit of oil or melted butter.
- Bring a full kettle of water to the boil. Place 175g of spinach in a large colander or sieve and set over the sink. Once water has boiled, carefully pour the water over the spinach to wilt it. Pour cold water over to cool the spinach, then use a large spoon to press the spinach against the colander or sieve to squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Scoop out the spinach and then roughly chop on a cutting board. Set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the grated cheese, sun dried tomato, wilted and chopped spinach, and basil then toss through the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together buttermilk with the egg and oil in a la rge jug, then add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix just until you don’t see any dry flour. Tip: Muffins are best when the mixture is still a little bit lumpy, but with no visible dry flour.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling the wells to th e top.
- Bake in the pre - heated oven until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out without any unbaked batter and the tops are golden, 25 - 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the muffin tin on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing from the muffin t in. Enjoy warm or cold. Muffins will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 - 4 days, or frozen in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Our favourite combination of flavours: spinach and basil! With some white cheddar and sun-dried tomatoes, these muffins are real crowd-pleasers. Perfect for a family get-together, picnic, lunchbox filler or simply as a snack.
Each muffin contains approximately 172kcal, 22.4g Carbs, 6.6g Protein and 6.7g Fat and just over a quarter of your RDI of Calcium.