1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 8 minutes or until tender.
2. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Stir in broth, potato, salt and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
3. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Stir in the kale and basil. Cover and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Discard bay leaf. Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher (or leave in chunks if you prefer the hardy texture!).
5. Serve into bowl and top with cheese!
Serves 6 (average bowls)
• 2 tbsp butter
• 200g onion, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1.75 ltr chicken stock
• 750g potatoes
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 bay leaf
• 300g fresh Loose & Lively kale
• 1 tsp dried basil
• 9 tbsp grated Gruyere cheese